The first stage of the project is now complete, and the new play equipment ready used. We are still fund raising for the next stages of the renovation.
Following a survey of residents conducted in April and May 2019, Hesket Parish Council proposes to renovate Armathwaite Play Area, with the following aims:
- To improve the appeal and usage of the Play Area, accounting for the needs of the local community;
- To improve access to the Play Area;
- To contribute to community enjoyment of the local environment.
The Parish Council intends to achieve these aims in three stages:
- Purchase and installation of new play equipment;
- Laying of footpath for wheelchair and pushchair access;
- Community led ‘clean-up’, to clear woodland paths, install benches, place bird feeders and boxes, and to undertake planting to attract wildlife
Having undertaken a public consultation in October 2019, the Parish Council has selected Kompan as the final designer for the new play equipment. Their design now includes a modified central tower/climbing frame.
The total cost of the first stage of the project, including installation, removal of old equipment and surfacing, comes to £38,472.09. Further funds will be required to complete the second and third stages, bringing the total funds required to around £46,000. The Parish Council has committed £5,000 towards the project, and has applied for grant funding. Local residents have also organised fundraising events, including carol singing, a sponsored cycle ride and proceeds from the sale of a children’s book.
Below is a record of funding received for the project so far. A full list of costings will be published once the project is complete.
|Type of funding||Source||Amount|
|Own Funds||Hesket Parish Council||£5,000.00|
|Donation||Cumberland Building Society||£200.00|
|Grant||Eden Community Fund - Eden District Council||£5,000.00|
|Grant||Cumbria Waste Management Environment Trust||£27,000.00|
|Fundraising||Life Raft Media Ltd - sale of children's book||£500.00|
|Grant||0-19 Youth Grant, Cumbria County Council||£2,550.00|